At BetFreeDirect we are committed to supporting responsible gambling. The vast majority of players who play online bingo, casino, or bet on sports, do so for enjoyment. It is important however to ensure gambling does not become a problem. On this page we outline how you can take steps to keep it fun, how to recognise the signs of problem gambling, and where to turn for support and help if you or someone you know needs it.
Signs of Problem Gambling (from GambleAware.com):
- Spending more money and time on gambling than you can afford
- Finding it hard to manage or stop your gambling
- Having arguments with family or friends about money and gambling
- Losing interest in usual activities or hobbies like going out with friends or spending time with family
- Always thinking or talking about gambling
- Lying about your gambling or hiding it from other people
- Chasing losses or gambling to get out of financial trouble
- Gambling until all of your money is gone
- Borrowing money, selling possessions or not paying bills in order to pay for gambling
- Needing to gamble with larger amounts of money or for a longer time to get the same feeling of excitement or buzz
- Neglecting work, school, family, personal needs or household responsibilities because of gambling
- Feeling anxious, worried, guilty, depressed or irritable
One effective way of practising responsible gambling is to set Deposit Limits when you join or use an online gambling site. Deposit limits allow you to cap the amount you can deposit within a period of time of your choice, eg per day/week/month. A deposit limit can be lowered, but an increase in your deposit limit will usually only take effect after a cooling off period.
If you find you need to take a break most sites will have a Time Out or Take a Break facility to help you do so. Keep it fun – if you need a break, take it.
If you feel your gambling is becoming a problem and you wish to take a longer break you can self-exclude yourself from a site for a period of time. It is recommended to take other measures if you wish to step away from online gambling. Consider unfollowing gambling brands on social media and downloading software to monitor and restrict your internet use. Self-exclusion typically applies for a minimum of 6 months.
it is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to gamble. As such BetFreeDirect is only for people over the age of 18.
Parents who wish to monitor or restrict the use of their computers or personal devices can look to the following sites for help and advice:
Help & Support
The brands and websites featured on BetFreeDirect have details on their sites specifically for help for players, or family and friends of players, who have problems keeping their gambling for fun and under control. Here are some sites that provide help and support: